Wednesday, May 22, 2024 03:05

Whitstable Castle

March 11th, 2023

Whitstable Castle

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/whitstable-castle.php

History of Whitstable Castle

Whitstable Castle, Whitstable, Kent was built from copperas works in 1790 and this formed the Octagonal Tower. The black tar of the works can still be seen on the walls. The Pearson’s home was known as The Manor House and little is known about its layout except that in 1798 the chimney to the tower was taken down and a staircase put in its place.

The family spent every summer at the house, from their Greenwich based home. Charles Pearson died in 1828. His son Charles Pearson Junior, born in 1786, inherited the estate and carried on using the house as a summer residence. The Tower fell into neglect and he sold it to his cousin by marriage Wynn Ellis.

Wynn Ellis had the most significant impact and made the greatest contribution towards shaping the building and its grounds. In 1897 Tankerton Castle, as it was now known, was sold to Thomas Adams. He added a billiard room to the North of the original tower. This provided a good room with feature fireplace on the ground floor with servants’ quarters upstairs but obstructed the fine sea views of Whitstable Bay. Later this became the Council Chamber.

In 1921 the Castle passed into the hands of Mr Albert Mallandain. A paper manufacturer, he and his wife used it as a summer residence. Changes were made in the building, with a fine new staircase and extensive additional oak panelling to match original designs. The Whitstable Urban District Council, despite some some opposition, bought the Castle for the town in 1935.

Following the local government re-organisation in 1972, the Castle remained empty until 1975 when at the instigation of The Whitstable Society the “Castle Centre Association” was created with the aim of using The Castle for the benefit of the people of Whitstable. In 2004 a new committee with its first Castle Co-ordinator began a complete interior upgrade and Weddings and Civil Ceremonies could commence. This brought in much needed income to regenerate the Castle and enable it to return to its original role as a venue for family celebrations, major local events and community activities. A heritage Lottery Grant enabled a new Trust to be formed in 2008 to take over the running of the Castle and Gardens.

Ghosts of Whitstable Castle

Footsteps, laughter and slamming doors have all been heard by staff and visitors to the building

 

Social Share Toolbar

Aeroflux

January 19th, 2023

AeroFlux II

The AeroFlux II is a device which was designed after years of studying fluctuations in air pressure during paranormal events. Through a simple to use alarm system, this unique tool provides a window into a little investigated environmental variable, as well as share the findings of the in depth scientific study.

  • Measures fluctuations in Air Pressure
  • Based on experiments into predicting paranormal events
  • Two “levels” of alarms
  • Provides audio and visual feedback

Available from ScireTech for about £40

Social Share Toolbar

Magnovex

January 19th, 2023

MagnoVex

The MagnoVex was designed to better experiment with observed spikes in magnetic field strength as well as shifts in the polarity of field which have been recorded on many occasions during unexplained events.

  • Detects spikes and polarity shifts in the magnetic field
  • Detects both North and South polarity fields
  • Provides audio and visual feedback
  • Advanced calibration which learns the environment
  • Based on experiments into predicting paranormal events

Built by ScireTech and costs about £40

Social Share Toolbar

Deal Castle

December 7th, 2022

Deal Castle

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/deal-castle.php

History of Deal Castle
Deal Castle is an artillery fort constructed by Henry VIII in Deal, Kent, between 1539 and 1540. It protected against invasion from France. The Castle comprises of a keep with six inner and outer bastions, the moated stone castle and had sixty-six firing positions for artillery.

During the Second English Civil War of 1648–49, Deal was seized by pro-Royalist insurgents and was only retaken by Parliamentary forces after several months of fighting.

Although it remained armed, Deal Castle was adapted by Sir John Norris and Lord Carrington during the 18th and 19th centuries to form a more suitable private house for the castle’s captain, which was an honorary position.

In 1904, the War Office concluded that the castle no longer had any value either as a defensive site or as a barracks and it was opened to the public when the captain was not in residence. Early in the Second World War, the captain’s quarters were destroyed by German bombing and the castle became a Battery Operating Post (one of the first-floor rooms in the keep became the Battery Office) for an artillery battery placed along the shoreline. The castle was not brought back into use as a residence and was restored by the government during the 1950s to form a tourist attraction.

Ghosts of Deal Castle
From our visits we have discovered that there are many areas of this castle which can be called haunted! Some of the rooms on the first floor have been amazing with Ouija board and Table tilting activity. The lower levels have proved interesting with various activities especially using our tech equipment and séances. On this floor people have become disorientated and “lost” because the tunnel is circular, and every bastion looks the same.

Social Share Toolbar

Tide Mill

December 7th, 2022

Tide Mill

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/tide-mill.php

History of the Tide Mill
Woodbridge Tide Mill in Suffolk was one of the first tide mills in the country and was unquestionably the last one working – operating for well over 800 years.

The earliest record of a tide mill on this site by the River Deben is in 1170.

In 1793 the present mill was built on the site of earlier ones. By the 1950s it had become the last working tide mill in the country, but in 1957 finally closed. It was saved in 1968, restored and opened to the public in 1973.

Ghosts of the Tide Mill
William, a mill worker, died one night by suffocation after falling into one of the flour vats.

Social Share Toolbar

Merley House

December 5th, 2022

Merley House

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/merley-house.php

History of Merley House
Merley House in Wimborne, Dorset was built in 1756. In 1875 the whole estate was sold by auction but there is little information as to whom it was sold until it was bought by Ivor Guest, 1st Lord of Wimborne. In 1927, the MP for South Dorset, Angus Valdemar Hambro purchased the estate in a dilapidated condition, spending two years renovating it.
In 1939 the outbreak of war meant that the house was requisitioned by the War office. When they left in 1946 the house was again sold at auction. The house was converted into flats.
During the 1960s a holiday park was started, by the present owners, to help finance the restoration of the house. The ground floor was opened to the public and contained a collection of model cars, lorries, airplanes, ships and train sets. Most recently the downstairs was restored again to create spacious and elegant areas.

Ghosts of Merley House
From our investigations we have found that the most active areas are in the cellar, although upstairs activity still happens, especially on the first floor with disembodied voices being heard as well as laughter and the sound of children running around.

Evidence

Watch our evidence at https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VSD0kz4FI5qdu28EyyN2RA0

Social Share Toolbar

The Keep

December 5th, 2022

The Keep

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/the-keep.php

History of The Keep
The Keep Military Museum in Dorchester. Dorset was completed in 1879, it was designed to resemble a Norman Castle, and is built of Portland stone which gives it a white appearance.

The Keep was originally the gatehouse for the Depot Barracks of the Dorsetshire Regiment as well as the County Armoury.
The Depot Barracks were the administrative centre for the Dorsetshire Regiment and its centre for recruitment and training. The Depot carried out this function between 1879 and 1958 with only one break. This was during World War Two when the barracks was used by the 701st Ordnance Light Maintenance Company and the 1st Quartermaster Company of the American Armed Forces.

Ghosts of The Keep
Staff and Visitors to the building often feel nervous on the top floor and often feel that they are being followed or watched!

Social Share Toolbar

Devizes Town Hall

December 5th, 2022

Devizes Town Hall

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/devizes-town-hall.php

History of Devizes Town Hall
The Town Hall in Devizes, Wiltshire was built in 1808, replacing a Yarn Hall built in 1575.

The lock-up is the oldest part of the building, dating back to around 1650, this is the dungeon below Devizes Town Hall and is where miscreants spent the night before being paraded in front of magistrates the following morning.

We have access to the Lock-Up, Council Chamber, Assembly Hall and Cheese Hall.

Ghosts of the Town Hall
The Town Hall is reputedly haunted by a ghostly lady who has been seen often on the stairwell. Visitors to the building and staff have complained of feeling uncomfortable in the lock up area (cells) and the sense of being watched.

 

Social Share Toolbar

HexCom

December 5th, 2022

HexCom

The HexCom is made by SpiritShack. It’s designed specifically for communicating with spirits. Using it’s built in EMF meter ghosts are able to select words from a database of over 2,000 words. It’s similar to the Ovilus.

Once words are chosen, they will be displayed on screen, and will be spoken out aloud by the built-in speaker. The HexCom will show you the previous 9 words chosen on the large backlit colour screen. Further chosen words will replace the older ones one by one.

Designed with accuracy and usability in mind, a bright screen and a wide viewing angle you will never miss a response. The words chosen are easily viewable from any angle.

Available from Spiritshack for £288 (price correct as of November 2022)

Social Share Toolbar

Warmley Clock Tower

October 28th, 2021

Event Showcase: Warmley Clock Tower

http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/warmley-clock-tower.php

History of Warmley Clock Tower
The Clock Tower, built in 1743, was part of the former pin factory making pins from brass wire. It was equipped with a clock tower to show workers the time for work purposes.

Ghost Hunting
Visitors to the building may see full bodied apparitions, hear the sound of children walking and talking as well as screams and dark shadows moving. The upper floor is an active space with some of the strangest activity seen here.

Social Share Toolbar