Friday, September 25, 2020 02:50

Posts Tagged ‘kent’

The Royal Hotel

Thursday, June 4th, 2020

Event Showcase: The Royal Hotel

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/the-royal-hotel.php
History of The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel in Deal, Kent opened April 1837. Prior to this it was called the “Three Kings.” and historical records show this being open in 1750.
This 18th century Georgian hotel with it’s historical connections to Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton who were frequent visitors to this hotel, is situated on Deal’s seafront close to Deal pier and Deal castle.
Winston Churchill also stayed at The Royal Hotel when visiting Dover Castle during the Second World War.
A night porter has witnessed the ghostly figure of Lady Hamilton sitting in a corner of The Royal Hotel’s lounge, having often stayed in the hotel when visiting her beloved Admiral Nelson.
The voices and noise of children are often heard in a particular part of this hotel late at night.
Ghost Hunting
We have been investigating #RoyalHotel since 2020 and our first investigation in January 2020 we had some interesting activity. Whilst some of the guests were downstairs, there were two guests in Churchill (one of three rooms that are linked by the veranda) listening out for laughter or noises, as we had thought we heard something outside. Another team member was in the next room doing a solo vigil and had to leave the room because the kettle had turned itself on!
Our favourite areas are; The three interesting rooms; Churchill, Hamilton and Wellington plus the corridors and rooms on the 1st floor, which were good for table tilting and ouija boards.
You can watch our videos at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VTq3ITuvcNpF8Pe-bKprTY5
Social Share Toolbar

Fort Burgoyne

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2020

Event Showcase: Fort Burgoyne

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/fort-burgoyne.php
History of Fort Burgoyne
Fort Burgoyne in Dover, Kent was originally known as Castle Hill Fort. Work was completed in 1868.
The main fort comprised a large parade ground, to the North of which was a long row of casemates, which provided the barrack accommodation for soldiers and officers. Above the casemates,  were Haxo Casemates, which housed the guns.
This was to guard the high ground northeast of the strategic port of Dover.
The fort is named after the 19th century General John Fox Burgoyne.
After the First World War Fort Burgoyne was used as military depot.
Ghost Hunting
We have been investigating #FortBurgoyne since 2017. This fort is one of the larger venues that we visit and certainly the largest fort that we investigate. There are also lots of areas that we haven’t explored or investigated yet. We have witnessed; disembodied voices, footsteps, whistles, shadows and many more visual oddities as well as audible noises. The best evidence came on our first visit in one of the lower rooms during a séance. One of the guests was on the floor unable to get up, because a spirit was holding him down, when the guest noticed the door to the room had closed. Immediately I asked for the spirit to open the door, and it flew open. I then asked for the spirit to close it and the spirit complied. After that various people asked for the door to be opened or closed, slammed or gently pushed and the spirit complied.  You can see the video, link below.
Our favourite areas are; The Caponier where we get a lot of EVP and audio responses, The casemates (the are two sets, but the right-hand set is more active) for Table tilting and Ouija boards. The lower rooms below the casemates are better for séances, although we have had good results in casemates too.
Watch our videos at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VQRddMzzAoFirhMnlsZCMwv
Social Share Toolbar

Theatre Royal

Thursday, May 28th, 2020

Event Showcase: Theatre Royal

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/theatre-royal.php
History of Theatre Royal
The Theatre Royal, Margate, Kent is the oldest theatre in Kent and the second oldest theatre in England. The Theatre Royal was built in 1787, burned down in 1829 and was remodelled in 1879. The exterior is largely from the l9th century and has remained relatively untouched.
From 1885 to 1899 actor-manager Sarah Thorne ran a school for acting at the Theatre Royal which is widely regarded as Britain’s first formal drama school.
According to local reports, hauntings began in 1918 when the ghost of Sarah Thorne (an actress) was seen. Paranormal activity has been reported on the stage and backstage and it is known that one of the boxes is haunted as a man jumped from the box to his death during a performance.
Another ghost, that of an actor who committed suicide, is held responsible for creating strange lights that float around the stage area.
Ghost Hunting
We have been investigating #TheatreRoyal since 2013 and have witnessed; instrumental sounds, whispering, voices, coughs, chills, talking, footsteps, doors banging and names being called out! Plus we have had many an active séance session where people have been pushed, sometimes to the floor. Under the stage is generally a very active area, as is the stage.
Our favourite areas are; The top floor of the theatre as we often have some good tech sessions here, the stage as just about every activity we get good results here and below the stage is where we have had some great séance sessions as well as EVP’s and where guests have heard strange noises and musical sounds.
You can watch our videos at https://youtu.be/mue-Vrmk13M?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VQKDGkslNSxmTAJ2wXSyppi
Social Share Toolbar

Bilsington Priory

Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Event Showcase: Bilsington Priory

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/bilsington-priory.php
History of Bilsington Priory
St Augustine’s Priory, Bilsington, Kent was founded by John Mansel in June 1253 with the consent of Henry III and the Archbishop of Canterbury professing the rule of St Augustine.
St Augustine’s Priory was surrendered to the crown in 1535 and it was abandoned at Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries in 1538.
During the 1820s it was a base for smuggling gangs namely the Ransley Gang and The Aldington Gang. The Priory was restored in 1906.
During the Second World War troops were billeted at St Augustine’s Priory and at some point it was also an infirmary.
Ghost Hunting
We have been investigating #BilsingtonPriory since 2017 although we held one event in 2008 and have witnessed; disembodied voices, cough, whistles and footsteps. We have had people pushed to the floor and held there during séances. Lots of personal information has been received via Ouija boards.
On one occasion we had someone go into a trance and attempted to walk down the spiral staircase on their own!
On another occasion there were two team members who both had groups, one in the tower, the other in the celebration room and they both heard footsteps coming towards them, apparently it was so real that they both went to investigate and found each other!
Our favourite areas are:- The celebration room for all activities but especially tech and gadgets. The ground floor/bar for tables and ouija boards, although the kitchen can sometimes can be spooky too. The rooms in the Tower though are where most of the unexplained activity takes place, from interesting séance sessions and human pendulum sessions.
We have been meaning to put our underwater microphone in the pond for a few years but the weather has usually hampered our experiment, but one day we will.
You can watch our video at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VSWCfsXFKuAIJBLt4NGHFyJhttps://youtu.be/z0w3jVVMIAk
Social Share Toolbar

The Guildhall

Tuesday, May 19th, 2020

Event Showcase: The Guildhall

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/the-guildhall.php

History of The Guildhall
The Guildhall Museum in Sandwich, Kent was built in 1579. Work in 1812 encased the building in yellow brick, this was removed 100 years later in 1912, when the south-west wing was also added

The security staff at this building have reported the sounds of footsteps in the halls, a feeling of being watched as they lock up and the old staircase has a surprise for the casual visitor! Hold on to the handrail…

Ghost Hunting
We have been investigating the #TheGuildhall since 2011 and we have witnessed lots of paranormal occurrences. To list everything that has happened in the last 9 years would take a while, but some of the best experiences haven’t been recorded.
On one of the first events, the group (of about 10 people) were sitting in the Council Chamber and a guest heard the sound of someone sit beside her as she heard the chair squeak, but the chair didn’t have anyone physical in it.
One of the best nights was a team only event last year, when during a ouija board session in the Robing Room (behind the Council Chamber) two of us got pushed and pulled back in our chairs during the session and we all heard knocking and banging sounds in the store room behind us.

Our favourite areas are; The Court room as we have had lots of EVP’s and strange séance sessions in the room. The Council Chamber is where we usually have a séance session and many things have happened here including hearing footsteps across the wooden floor (unfortunately this hasn’t happened since carpet has been laid). There have been many paranormal occurrences in other rooms but the Kitchen has always had some strange things happen in it usually when someone is on their own!

You can watch our videos at https://youtu.be/NLN3fUKdz9E?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VSWsUsjdH8HBlUvSeeLo1AH

Social Share Toolbar

Vinters Park

Thursday, May 7th, 2020

Event Showcase: Vinters Park

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/vinters-valley.php

 

History of Vinters Park

Vinters Valley Nature Reserve in Maidstone, Kent has had a very interesting history and a house has stood on this land for 600 years.

Roman remains have been found on the site in the past, but the first recorded history was when a Roger de Vinter bought the land from the Abbott of Boxley in 1343, and built the first house.

Vinters house was bought by a local businessman, James Whatman of Vinters. Although he didn’t ever live in Vinters his son did. James Whatman of Vinters moved into the house in 1782, having bought it some time previously from the then Lord Ongley. He died in 1798 aged 57, and like many Whatmans was buried at Boxley Church.

During the Second World War the house was taken over for Military purposes and many Army units passed through the park. The fine furniture and effects were locked away. The ATS girls stayed in the house, with the men in billets near the kitchen garden. Having been empty for a few years the entire estate comprising of 660 acres was sold to a property developer in 1956. Shortly after this the house burnt down, and was demolished.

Ghost Hunting

We have been investigating the #VintersPark since 2017 and from the moment we stepped inside the Nature Reserve we have felt, seen and witnessed lots of paranormal activity.

This venue is our only outdoor venue now and there are distinct areas of the park which are more paranormally active than others.

Our favourite areas are; beside the bridge, this was the original entrance to the house, the terrace which was just outside the house, the lime walk which is good for table tilting and many people have seen something unexplainable here.

We often use the area around the old Kitchen Garden for our tech and gadget sessions as these have proved successful in the past.

We don’t have any video footage from this venue because we don’t bring cameras to outdoor venues.

Social Share Toolbar

Fort Amherst

Tuesday, April 28th, 2020

Event Showcase: Fort Amherst

https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/fort-amherst.php

History of Fort Amherst

Fort Amherst in Chatham, Kent was built to protect Chatham Dockyard after the invasion by the Dutch in 1667.

Construction of the fortifications started in 1755. The site chosen included a chalk pit with a number of caves. These caves were extended between 1776 and 1805 to provide an underground labyrinth of tunnels. The tunnels contain many interesting and important features including; a well, privies, loopholed defences, cannon positions and defendable gateways.

In 1820 the defences were declared obsolete due to better artillery equipment with a greater firing range. The whole of the fortifications were used as a training ground during the Victorian period.

During WWII the tunnels were utilised by the Anti-Invasion Planning Unit and Civil Defence, who used a section as their headquarters. This is where Civil Defence was coordinated for the North Kent.

Ghost Hunting

We have been investigating #FortAmherst since December 2014 and we have had lots of very good nights with loads of paranormal occurrences. Lots of good evidence has been witnessed, not necessarily recorded but our guests have had some amazing personal evidence.

We have also heard disembodied whispers, voices, coughs, whistles and spoken sentences, some of which have been recorded, but the best evidence is never recorded and when it happens to a guest they either can’t explain what happened or don’t believe what they just witnessed. Fort Amherst is one of those places where the evidence has to be witnessed.

Our favourite areas are; The Upper Gun floor for all activities especially table tilting and séances, the Civil Defense rooms for EVP’s, tech & gadgets

You can watch our evidence at https://youtu.be/c5Gu_bqXIbQ?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VR61H-eGQNs2ssITzXng4CR

Social Share Toolbar

Slough Fort

Sunday, April 26th, 2020

Event Showcase: Slough Fort
https://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/slough-fort.php

History of Slough Fort
Slough Fort, Allhallows, Kent is a small artillery fort that was built in the north of the Hoo Peninsula in Kent. Constructed in 1867, the D-shaped fort was intended to guard a vulnerable stretch of the River Thames against possible enemy landings during a period of tension with France. Its seven casemates initially accommodated rifled breech loading guns, which were replaced by the turn of the century by more powerful breech-loaders on disappearing carriages, mounted in concrete wing batteries on either side of the fort. It was likely one of the smallest of the forts constructed as a result of the 1860s invasion scare.

All of the guns were removed by 1912, though the fort continued in use during the First World War as a command post. It was decommissioned in 1920 and sold off in 1929 and converted into a small zoo. Before the Second World War; it was used as an observation post from 1938, became part of the local anti-invasion system in 1939-40 and was used as part of the air defence network against V-1 flying bombs in 1944. There was partial restoration in 2012-13 that uncovered previously buried features of the fort.

Ghost Hunting
We have been investigating #SloughFort since April 2019 and have witnessed; disembodied voices, laughing and other noises in the fort and in the magazine, footsteps on the upper level, table tilting which has been out of this world in the main part of the fort.

Our favourite rooms in the fort are; the cells (brig) for strange feelings and great séance activity, the courtyard of the fort for table tilting and EVP’s. The magazine rooms have also been good with tech, gadgets and EVP’s although noise travels here so a small group is ideal.

You can view our evidence at https://youtu.be/Q9ENAgFdPXA?list=PLqWQMrZeI7VRtqODKCwub3oW0dQaj5QTB

Social Share Toolbar

Fort Borstal – 12th November 2016 – Kym

Monday, January 23rd, 2017

Fort Borstal ghost hunt 12th November 2016
Rochester, Kent

Very atmospheric tonight with low mist on this dark night, making the fort look just that little bit more spooky.  We started with our first groups with Sean doing Kit in the Counterscarp Gallery, and myself doing Ouija and Glass Work in the Cartridge Store.  In Sean’s sessions they noticed a blue halo around the Edi Meter, and white flashes in the corner of a room, and the pendulums were very active with guests enjoying how fast they were rotating, and changing direction when requesting.  In my first sessions with glass work and ouija we spoke to a female aged over 50 in the 1940′ or 1960’s, did not like men, had possibly been raped and had a child.  She had not passed over as she still visits her daughter and grand-children.  She lived in Rochester when alive.  Her name was Ellie (short for Eleanor) and had committed suicide here at the fort.  We were feeling like we were being touched, and hearing unexplained noises.  We did finish with a glass work session near the entrance, and the spirit with us said he was Sergeant Andrews.  His energy was incredibly strong and said he would join us later.

With our next sessions Sean was doing Table Tipping in the Caponier, and I was in the Officers Mess doing a Séance Circle and Human Pendulum.  In Sean’s sessions the Table Tipping was incredible with the table tipping, spinning and walking around the room.  They did have an odd smell of fruit, saw a mist and heard a scurry on the floor – no animals located!  They did also tap on the table and heard taps back twice.  With myself we had some movement in the séance circle’s, and felt coldness and tingles on our hands when being moved,  but had more results from the pendulums.  We had Sergeant Andrews with us again, he had been killed in battle on the Somme by a German soldier, and did not have a grave.  He was not married and had no children.  He liked both men and women.  We also had the spirit of a woman who had worked at the fort as a chef.  She had been hurt by Sgt Andrews, and had hung herself.  We asked if she had a message for us – yes – “Be aware of men!”

Kym & Sean
Paranormal Investigators
Ghost Hunt Events
http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/

Social Share Toolbar

Fort Amherst – 20th May 2016 – Kym

Friday, July 8th, 2016

Fort Amherst ghost hunt 20th May 2016
Chatham, Kent

fort-amherst-1

Area: Upper Gun Floor

Ouija & Table Tipping, Dowsing Rods, Pendulums & Human Pendulum
We started with half the group on Ouija, and the other half on Table Tipping.  We had slight movement on both.  We then tried the Human Pendulum and had the spirit of a male soldier step forward.  He had passed in his 20’s from a head injury.  His wife was also with us.  One of the guests had his name as Archibald.  He had murdered someone, for stealing his money.  He was happily married, who then stepped forward, her name was Elizabeth.  We did try the table tipping again and had a lot of rocking but no more.  We then used the dowsing rods & pendulums, and guests enjoyed exploring and communicating with the spirits.

With my second group again we started with table tipping and had some rocking, one more than another with a lot of spins, rocking and walking across the room to where the spirit was standing, after hearing noises from that area.  We then all tried the very large table and was able to get a lot of movement, rocking rapidly, tipping up and holding to one side when asked.  Two guests at one end of the table both had blowing in their ears at the same time.  Jenny (guest) kept feeling like someone was pulling on her trousers.  We tried the Ouija and had the spirit of Edgar, from 1943 aged 23.  He was pushed down the stairs here in this room and died of a head injury.  The man that pushed him was having an affair with his wife.  People have experienced being pushed on these stairs.  Was this the reason why?  His wife Charlotte who was a nurse, had tried to make him better.  Others were using the rods & pendulums to communicate with the spirits, a male spirit confirmed he was the one that had moved the large table.

With my last group we had a little movement on the Ouija & table tipping, but not enough to communicate.  Tried the large table and had some gently rocking.  Used the rods & pendulums for a short while, but everyone wanted to try the human pendulum.  We had a spirit come through that had known Mark (guest).  He was able to communicate with him.
In the free session I joined Mark and his family in the Salle Port, we started with table tipping and had some slight movement.  We then switched to glass work, and with a yes & no established communicated with the spirit with us.  We were hearing noises around us, and did hear and feel a breath.
A great night at Fort Amherst again!

Kym
Paranormal Investigator
Ghost Hunt Events
http://www.ghosthuntevents.co.uk/

Social Share Toolbar